COVID-19 has impacted fundraising in various ways. What will major and planned giving programs look like in our current landscape, and how can your organization adjust to see continued success with these programs?
In today’s episode, you’ll hear from Eddie Thompson, founder and CEO of Thompson and Associates, and Russell James, Professor of Charitable Financial Planning at Texas Tech University, in an excerpt from a Blackbaud webinar. They discuss the challenges of raising major and planned gifts in the current environment, give advice on how to talk to donors and consider how they are feeling and faring during this time, and highlight different giving strategies that can benefit organizations and donors.
After listening to the episode, click on the link to the webinar in the Resources section to watch the full recording, including a panel discussion featuring Eddie and Russell as well as Page Bullington, president and general manager of Blackbaud Healthcare Solutions and Blackbaud Foundation Solutions, and Heather Wiley Starankovic, principal consultant at Accordant Philanthropy.
Topics Discussed in This Episode:
- Four pieces of the frame that holds the nonprofit mosaic together
- Excellent leadership
- Appealing mission
- Dedicated staff
- Visibility in the community
- Replacing fear with focus
- Impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on major and planned gifts
- Short-term impacts on major and planned giving
- Questions that donors are asking themselves
- Types of wealth accumulators
- Showing support to donors during crisis
- Transitioning to different giving opportunities
- Permission marketing
- Donor-advised fund holders
- Plan B for planned gifts
- Charitable gift annuities
- CARES Act charitable donations
- Webinar: Raising Major and Planned Gifts in the Current Environment
- Tip Sheet: 6 Planned Giving Options to Offer Donors
- Tip Sheet: Questions Major Donors Are Asking Themselves Before Making a Gift
“We are really positioning ourselves not just for today, but for the future.” –Eddie Thompson
“I’ll tell you this, almost everyone has been impacted emotionally.” –Eddie Thompson
“We want people to ask us for more information or more details.” –Russell James
Get nonprofit articles, best practice advice, fundraising ideas and invaluable industry reports and webinars delivered for free!