Everyone seems to have an opinion about what is good design. But it’s not something you just leave to opinions or chance.
Sometimes you need to go back to basics on the basics. Recently, I’ve been reminded of some design fundamentals that I learned a long time ago.
The legendary industrial designer Dieter Rams has 10 principles for good design:
• Good design is innovative.
• Good design makes a product useful.
• Good design is aesthetic.
• Good design helps us to understand a product.
• Good design is unobtrusive.
• Good design is honest.
• Good design is durable.
• Good design is consequent to the last detail.
• Good design is concerned with the environment.
• Good design is as little design as possible.
For me, that’s it. That’s the list.
Get nonprofit articles, best practice advice, fundraising ideas and invaluable industry reports and webinars delivered for free!