I got in a fender bender Monday morning at 8:30 am. It was 100% my fault. And I knew it. And I was literally inconsolable.
I cried for an hour straight. over a fender bender, or so I thought.
In retrospect, I realize that I was crying about so much more. I had these ideas about how amazing 2014 would be, but never did I consider how hard getting to amazing would be..
so I cried. And then, with puffy eyes and mascara running down like water color, I drove home. I dusted myself off, took a deep breath, and decided that I would only squint when looking at the front of my new car (maybe that would make the scrapes less noticeable).
But then my best friend did something amazing. She made me a card. Literally, dug colored pencils from underneath some box somewhere and drew me a card. And it read: “Sorry you’ve had a rough ride lately (open card)…Good thing the road doesn’t end here!”.
That’s all it took. It was that tiny gesture that reminded me that this is all a journey. Retention rates suck and we’ve got a lot of work to do, but the key is remembering always what you’re working towards. And we’re in it together.
Here are this week’s nonprofit highlights:
- Katherine Lindstedt said it best on the Big Duck blog – “the English language is rich with possibilities..”. Yet, we tend to overuse, abuse, and neglect so much of our native tongue. It’s time for a vocabulary refresh. Before you draft your next blog or fundraising appeal, check first with Big Duck’s Words to avoid in 2014.
- Internships. We’ve been there and we’ve hired for that. But finding a GREAT intern isn’t always easy to come by. It’s part attitude on their part, and part training and onboarding on (y)ours. Take a look at Beth Kanter’s World’s Best Intern: Advice from Nonprofits to Interns for insider tips on finding and nurturing the best interns possible.
- Steven Shattuck’s The “Three A’s” of Nonprofit Social Media Engagement is incredibly on point. Appreciation, Advocacy, and Appeals – your nonprofit’s social media strategy should incorporate them all.
- In Vanessa Chase’s guest post on npEngage, she wrote on the 7 Ways to Integrate Stories into Your Nonprofit’s Donor Stewardship Strategy. Her post dives into the importance of connecting with donors on a personal level, and going beyond thank-yous to do so. Your donors are making a real difference, and they deserve to be reminded of so.
- Claire Axelrad believe s that developing a robust gratitude program is crucial to receiving repeat gifts (and I have to agree with her). In her blog, Your Keys to a Donor Retention Strategy Full of Thanks, she walks readers through the 7 tactics of expressing real donor-gratitude.
- Did you know? Facebook News Feed Now Gives Text Updates Less Reach..Yep, apparently Facebook has tweaked the News Feed to decrease the text updates from Pages. John Haydon’s post highlights the tree ways your nonprofit page can deal with this recent News Feed change.
See you in the caravan?
Get nonprofit articles, best practice advice, fundraising ideas and invaluable industry reports and webinars delivered for free!