The 2014 Charitable Giving Report includes 24 months of overall giving data from 4,798 nonprofit organizations representing more than $16.2 billion in total fundraising. The report also includes online giving data from 3,724 nonprofits representing over $2 billion in online fundraising. It is the largest analysis of actual overall and online giving data in the nonprofit sector.
Overall Giving Trends
In 2014, overall charitable giving in the United States increased 2.1% on a year-over-year basis. Large organizations grew by 1.3%, medium organizations grew 1.3%, and small organizations grew 5.8% compared to the same time period in 2013.
Online Giving Trends
Online giving grew 8.9% in 2014 compared to 2013. Large organizations grew by 8.0%, medium organizations grew 9.7%, and small organizations grew 10.6% on a year-over-year basis.
Here are a few key observations from The 2014 Charitable Giving Report:
- Overall giving grew 2.1% despite the absence of the high profile episodic events that drove an increase in giving in both 2013 and 2012.
- Overall giving grew for the 3rd consecutive year and this points to continued fundraising recovery in the nonprofit sector.
- Online giving also grew in 2014 by 8.9% and this growth is on top of 13.5% year-over-year growth in 2013.
- Donors continue to shift online with the percentage of total fundraising that came from online donations increasing to 6.7%.
- Small nonprofits, those with annual total fundraising less than $1 million, grew both overall giving and online donations more than large or medium-sized organizations.
- The percentage of giving that happens in December continued to decrease in 2014 as nonprofits diversify their fundraising programs.
You can get the entire 2014 Charitable Giving Report online at: www.blackbaud.com/charitablegiving
Get nonprofit articles, best practice advice, fundraising ideas and invaluable industry reports and webinars delivered for free!