A More Detailed Exploration
The SXSW Interactive Festival wants to help more non-profit groups attend their event. To help do that they’ve launched a special scholarship program which has a entry deadline of … Sunday, October 31.
To enter, just submit a short essay (300 words or less) explaining an idea for how your non-profit can (or already does) use media and technology to solve a social problem. Entries will be judged based on three criteria: Innovation, Impact, and Clarity.
You only need an idea – even if you don’t know the technical solution for implementing. It doesn’t matter whether your non-profit is in the vanguard or late adopters, the best ideas will win. All ideas will be assembled and shared in a public idea packet once the winners are announced.
More details can be found at the SXSW Interactive website. Entries need to be submitted by 11:59 PM (Central Time) on Sunday, October 31.
Send your idea to email@example.com!
Tips for a Successful Essay
Your 300-word essay should briefly explain what the designated organization does and the challenges it faces. The essay should also focus on how the organization should use technology and media to further its goals beyond fundraising. Please keep in mind that we are looking for an essay, not a book. Responses cannot exceed 300 total words.
For instance, consider how your organization can use media and technology to:
- Create sustainable commitments of action from individuals and companies to your cause vs. sporadic, one-off campaigns.
- Generate interest in your organization’s social issue agenda in the absence of a “media worthy” disaster.
- Foster collaboration among your fellow organizations working on the same issue to share data, funding and other resources to meet the finish line faster, more efficiently.
- Develop new and more appropriate measures of impact of your organization’s efforts.
- Envision new technology that would help your cause reach its goals.
Check out a few of Blackbaud’s Interviews at SXSW 2010
- Stacey Monk talks Epic Change, Tweetsgiving and more…
- Chris Brogan Talks Nonprofits and Trust Agents
- Chris Noble on Check in for Charity, Pepsi Refresh and Social Media for Nonprofits
- NetSquared with Amy Sample Ward
- Facebook for Nonprofits by Randi Zuckerberg
- Spotlight on We Can End This with Scott Henderson
Get nonprofit articles, best practice advice, fundraising ideas and invaluable industry reports and webinars delivered for free!