As 2019 draws to a close, I wanted to once again put together a list of the most-read articles published during the year. Our contributors covered a lot of topics this year, but we found that posts focused on fundraising and on organizational culture were particularly popular. This makes sense given the changes in charitable donation tax deductions in the U.S. this year and the increasing focus across all sectors on employee engagement.
Without further ado, here were the the most popular articles published on sgENGAGE in 2019:
- The End of the Beginning of Online Giving by Steve MacLaughlin, Blackbaud
2019 marked twenty years since online giving first began in any significant way. Expert Steve MacLaughlin revisits the last twenty years and lets us know what we need to pay attention to in order to be successful over the next twenty.
- The Nonprofit Summer Reading List by Kelsey Bowden, Blackbaud
It may no longer be summer, but Kelsey’s list of books, articles and other resources is relevant year-round. Find out what you should be reading to learn more about strategic planning, organizational culture, fundraising, marketing and more in this helpful post.
- Expert Advice for Improving Culture & Morale at Nonprofit Organizations by Christine Newman, Blackbaud
The nonprofit sector has the fifth highest turnover rate of any industry. With technology making it easier for individuals to make a difference on their own, it’s even more critical that nonprofits (and all social good organizations) prioritize improving culture and morale to remain competitive in the employment market. I gathered helpful tips from nonprofit leaders and HR experts in this article to help all social good organizations make their employees feel happy and valued.
- 5 Foundation Trends for 2019: Conquering the Unknown with the Help of Data by Annie Rhodes, formerly with Blackbaud Foundation Solutions
From partnerships and data to cybersecurity to hyperfocus on specific problems, read through five trends predicted for 2019 and decide which will continue into 2020.
- 5 Important Higher Ed Fundraising Truths for FY2020 by Andy Reeher, Blackbaud
Make sure your higher ed institution is in step with these trends so your fundraising programs remain strong throughout 2020 and beyond.
- The Ins and Outs of Remote Work for Nonprofits by Roger Maftean, Zety
Nonprofits are joining the remote work trend – the number of nonprofit employees working remotely has increased by 20% in the last six years and continues to grow. While there are many benefits to telecommuting, there can also be some challenges. Roger outlines how to mitigate the challenges with simple steps organizations can implement now.
- How to Harness the Fundraising Power of Twitch by Aly Sweetman, Twitch
Video live streaming continues to grow in influence. Since its founding in 2011, content creators on Twitch, one of the most popular live streaming platforms, have raised over $115 million for over 300 charities across the globe. Aly Sweetman gives great insider tips on how your organization can leverage the power of this new generation of influencers.
- 5 Ways to Make Your Nonprofit’s Website Donor-Friendly by Rachel Clemens, Mighty Citizen
With online giving only growing, how do you ensure that your organization’s online experience is designed for donors (both current and would-be)? And how can a website make charitable giving a given? Rachel shares five tips to help you up your website game.
- 3 Reasons You’ve Got to Have a Leadership Annual Giving Program by Stacey Rooney, Blackbaud
Leadership annual giving programs are designed to bridge the gap between annual giving and major giving. Stacey shares why your institution needs a leadership annual giving program to help boost the effectiveness of all fundraising, and how to get started with implementing one.
- 4 Important Membership Trends Every Museum Needs to Consider by Brendan Ciecko, Cuseum
A lot has been changing in the museum world. Organizations need to determine how they fit into the transforming digital landscape and anticipate changing expectations. Brendan shares four trends that museums need to be aware of to have continued success with membership operations.
- 3 Annual Giving Strategies for 2019 by Andy Reeher, Blackbaud
When it comes to resources, most annual giving teams have limited time and money for annual giving appeals. Luckily, Andy shared approaches to help you stay ahead of the curve for finding new donors, retaining the support of old friends, and raising more money all year long.
- 10 Ways to Improve Morale at Nonprofit Organizations by Katherine Wertheim, Werth-It
Employee morale affects not only your hiring and retention, but also the bottom line as donors and volunteers are turned off by a revolving door of staff members. Katherine shares easy, low-cost ways to raise morale and thus increase your organization’s impact.
- How to Create Better Charts to Show Fundraising Results by Ashutosh Nandeshwar, University of Southern California
Have you seen a chart and asked yourself, “What is this? What am I supposed to learn from this?” Follow Ashutosh’s tips to make sure no one asks those questions the next time you share a chart!
- Livestream Fundraising 101: What is Livestream Fundraising? By Robyn Mendez, Blackbaud
After spending a few days with 24 nonprofit professionals having success with livestream fundraising, Robyn wrote this article detailing the main types of livestream fundraising tactics and the the technology decisions, promotional strategies, and recruiting tactics needed to execute a successful campaign.
- 5 Ways Nonprofits Can Use Financials to Increase Transparency by Stephanie Skryzowski, 100 Degrees Consulting
Many nonprofit leaders understand the benefits of transparency but don’t know how to share relevant information about their numbers. They may not be comfortable speaking confidently about financials or know what to share. Have no fear – Stephanie described five actionable steps you can take to share your financials and impact on a deeper level with your stakeholders, even if you’re not a “numbers person.”
Interested in contributing to sgENGAGE in 2020? Read our submission guidelines and get in touch!
Get nonprofit articles, best practice advice, fundraising ideas and invaluable industry reports and webinars delivered for free!