How lucky are we to get a whole extra 24 hours this month that we normally don’t get? Don’t waste it! Here are seven things you can do on February 29th that will give you a surprising sense of accomplishment:
- Do a little early spring cleaning—I’ll bet that donor database of yours has a few nooks and crannies that haven’t been swept in a while. Pick a chunk, any chunk, and clean up old emails, addresses, phone numbers and the like. Your marketing staff will thank you for it.
- If you didn’t send them a Valentine, send a thank you note to everybody who donated in February. Tell them you had an extra day this month and couldn’t think of a better way to spend it than by telling them how much you appreciate them. (See 7 Ways to Say Thanks.)
- Write down one new idea for how you can better use social media to attract new supporters. And don’t restrict yourself to 140 characters please. (See 50 Social Media Content Ideas.)
- Do a post-mortem on your End of Year Appeal efforts. Did you achieve your goals? If not, why not? Write down one actionable thing that you are going to do differently next year to change your fortunes. If you were wildly successful, then write down what you know you need to do more of. (See Keep It Simple to help get the wheels turning.)
- Take stock of your staffing plans for the year. Are you where you need to be in terms of recruiting, promoting, upgrading, or laying off? Don’t wait until mid year to figure out you’re behind the curve on this. (See Successful Strategies for Hiring a Development Professional if that’s one area of recruitment.)
- Take a look at critical dates in the next 90 days for grant deadlines, BOD meetings, major gift meetings or events, committee deliverables, program delivery and the like. Prioritize your workload for the next 30 days with these dates as your guide.
- Commit to at least ONE activity that will foster your own career and/or self development. You can’t run an organization if you can’t run yourself. And you can’t run yourself without a commitment to be constantly growing.And lastly…
- Dump the Valentine’s Day chocolates still sitting around. You know you should.
For those of us that always feel like the clock is working against us, take today as a free gift and do something useful with it!