#GivingTuesday 2013 might over, but no it’s not!
Technically, it’s not December 3rd anymore, so the day itself has passed for the year. But, in my mind, #GivingTuesday is so much more than a day. It’s a spirit that’s all about doing good whether you’re an individual, a company, a city, a business, whatever.
My company celebrated #GivingTuesday this year by launching a cool site called Business Doing Good. It’s free advice about how to build a give-back program into small business. Although we launched it on December 3rd, we’re just getting started. Know of a small business that’s interested in giving back? Share the site and encourage them to get engaged.
You probably figured out that I’m pretty passionate about small business and the “doing good” thing. I am. How can you not be excited about the huge potential there is for business to make positive change? That’s why I think it’s so great that the following businesses decided to celebrate #GivingTuesday. They’re great examples of smaller guys doing big things.
- In Niagara, NY, Community Missions collaborated with Lauren Rose Miller and Rellim Hair & Makeup Design Studio to offer free haircuts to those staying at the Emergency Housing Shelter. Guests received haircuts while employees from a local Target store painted and updated the Shelter’s three-room common area.
- White Butterfly Gift Shop in NJ – donated the proceeds of t-shirt sales to support a mother of 5 who cannot afford her cancer treatment. The Gift Shop also adopted the family for Christmas, asking community members to donate toys for the children.
- In Chico, California, the Downtown Chico Business Association (DCBA) partnered with the Skyway House and Community Action Agency to complete a variety of Downtown Chico clean-up projects. Local business owners worked with people recovering from substance abuse on local recycling and beautification projects.
- In Baltimore, The Charmery local ice cream shop created a custom flavor for #GivingTuesday and donated all proceeds to supporting the City’s BMoreGivesMore campaign.
- Limitless Good launched a “Share a Smile, We’ll Share a Meal” campaign to donate to Feeding America. People were asked to post photos of their smiles on the Limitless Good “Share a Smile” Facebook page and the company provided a $1 donation for each smile shared on #GivingTuesday. The company was able to fund over 3,500 meals through Feeding America.
Thanks to the #GivingTuesday team at the 92nd Street Y for sharing these fabulous examples of small business doign good! Do I sense a trend here? let’s hope!
Get nonprofit articles, best practice advice, fundraising ideas and invaluable industry reports and webinars delivered for free!