It’s a cliché but a picture does indeed paint a thousand words. In the case of the house the pictures from it’s heyday and the pictures from today were quite striking in the contrast of splendour and decay. This was fantastic in getting people to sign up to the campaign as they could really identify what they were signing up for.
To add Photos you would click on the photo tab and create an album. Useful to have a variety of photos for your pages and try to keep them organised so that people can see what they are looking for and not have to navigate around lots of unspecific pics. When you have a few albums and a number of photos up there it’s time to decide which of these is going to be the focal point of the site. This might be an image of the charity logo or may be something compelling about your mission. In the case of the house it was an image of the house boarded up and looking miserable as it does today.
In order to make the photo your main image open the photo up and below the image on the right hand side you should see, beside the tag photo info, a link which says ‘Make Profile picture for page’ – Click here and it’ll become the main photo on the top left of your fan page.
The photos area is a useful place to enter into discussion with people so make sure it’s an area that you keep an eye when engaging with your audience. If the photos are compelling then they will naturally encourage participation and sometimes this needs just a little nudge from the administrators to keep the conversation going.
As well as the main photos area within Facebook there are other apps that can be added as well. Flickr is very useful here for nice looking photo galleries and slide shows.
To add an additional app follow these instructions:
- Got to main profile page of the site and on the left click on the ‘Edit Page’ option which is directly below the main pic. This will take you to the back end page settings.
- There are lots of options in here for standard settings but to add Facebook apps click under ‘More Applications’ on the ‘Browse More’ option.
- You should now see a catalogue of apps that can be used.
- Search for your app – So for example click into the search area and type ‘Flickr’ – Make sure to browse around as the top app is not always the best one.
- When you pick which one you want to add to your page click on the top left hnd nav bar where is says ‘Add to my Page’
- Your application should now be available on the ‘Edit Page’ area. You can go and configure from there to how you want it to look.
- To decide where it goes on the page go back to the home page and on the top bar you should be able to scroll along to ‘boxes’ (see below) – From here your new app will be shown. You can do all sorts with it in here including (if appropriate) add it to your main wall menu. The main wall menu is the menu on the left hand side of the wall which has links to your images or details of your fans.
What have you learned from setting up Facebook fanpages? Let me know in the comments!