A couple weeks ago we released our 2012 Online Marketing Nonprofit Benchmark study. More than a few people have called it a “must-read” and as someone who knows it front-to-back and inside out, I must agree. To whet your whistle, here are just 10 of the interesting insights this bad boy contains:
- The median growth rate for online fundraising is 15.8%.
- The median number of online gifts grew by 12.6%.
- The smallest tier of orgs (less than 10,000 email records) experienced a median of $89,917 in online fundraising.
- The average online gift for that tier was $105.01.
- The largest tier of orgs (more than 250,000 email records) experienced a median of $1,993,713 in online fundraising.
- The average online gift for that tier was $65.49.
- The percentage of online advocates also making an online donation grew from 6.4 percent in 2010 to 11.9 percent in 2011.
- First time donations account for a median 37.27% of online fundraising.
- Sustained online giving accounts for an average of $25,474 per org.
- The average online monthly gift amount was $31.96.
Let’s talk about that last one for a second – if the average online monthly gift is $31.96, that means a donor who gives a monthly gift for a full year is worth a whopping $383.52! If you take away one thing from this benchmark, write this one down, you must have monthly giving as an option on your donation form.